4 Positions as Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) –
ERC Advanced Grant Project „Rewilding the Anthropocene“
Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Cologne
REWILDING is an environmental anthropological project contribut-ing to the budding field of environmental humanities generally and to debates on the shifting entanglements between people, flora, and fauna in the world’s largest conservation landscape, the south-ern African Kavango-Zambezi Transboundary Conservation Area (KAZA TFCA), in particular. The project is headed by Prof. Michael Bollig, Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology.
- Developing a PhD project on the topic of REWILDING with an in-depth focus on particular multi-species assemblages
- Conducting ethnographic fieldwork for about 12-15 months in south-central Africa (either Namibia, Zambia, Botswana, Zimba-bwe or Angola
- Data collection and analysis
- Presentation of results in the form of regular reports, lectures and publications
- Participating on regular project meetings
- Support in the organization of academic and policy events (con-ferences, workshops, working meetings)
- Completed master‘s degree (MA) in Ethnologie / Social and Cultural Anthropology (or related disciplines)
- Expertise in environmental anthropology
- Willingness to conduct several months of ethnographic research in south-central Africa; familiarity with the research sites will be beneficial
- Excellent knowledge of English is required; knowledge of German or willingness to learn German for communication purposes is desired
- Integration in the University‘s Global South Study Center
- A diverse and fair working environment
- Support in reconciling work and family life
- Flexible working time models
- Extensive advanced training opportunities
- Occupational health management offers
- Local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The positions are available from 01.01.2022 on a part-time ba-sis (29,87 working hours per week / 75%). They are limited until 31.12. 2024 with an option of extending for an additional year. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qua-lifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal oppor-tunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westpha-lia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also ex-pressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please send your convincing application by email (in one pdf-file) with the reference number Wiss2109-01 to email@example.com.
The application deadline is 31. 10 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Michael Bollig (firstname.lastname@example.org).